Remember the causes of Epistaxis using the mnemonic NSAID .
- Nasal disorders e.g. trauma, tumor, rhinitis, sinusitis, lupus, etc.
- Spontaneous, Scurvy
- Air sickness, Arterial hypertension, Altitude high
- Idiopathic, Infective fever
- Diphtheria, Danlos syndrome, Drugs: salicylates, quinine, etc.
Remember the management of Epistaxis using the mnemonic EPISTAXIS .
- Attempt to distinguish between anterior and posterior bleeding
- Apply pressure over the nose with compression device or fingers
- Irrigate with warm water
- Silver nitrate
- Apply silver nitrate locally, if anterior vessel identified
- Insert anterior nasal or posterior balloon tampons
- Oxymetazoline can be sprayed in the nose as part of conservative treatment or applied on tampon
- Apply TXA as gel or solution on tampon
- Interventional radiology
- Contact interventional radiology for embolization in conjunction with ENT surgeon
- Surgical consultation
- Obtain an early ENT consult for severe or high risk bleeding
Hope that mnemonic helped. Got a better mnemonic for the same? Let us know in the comments below.
Also check out these medical mnemonics