Bronchiectasis is an important topic for medical exams.
It is a frequently asked question in Theory exams, Practical viva and also in PG entrance exams, where the causes of Bronchiectasis are often asked as an “ALL EXCEPT” question.
Remember the causes and differential diagnosis of Bronchiectasis using the mnemonic
A SICK AIRWAY.
- A – Airway lesion/chronic obstruction
- S – Sequestration
- I – Immunodeficiency syndrome (especially immunoglobulin abnormalities)
- C – Cystic fibrosis
- K – Kartagener’s syndrome/ Dysmotile ciliary syndromes
- A – Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA)
- I – Infection/Inflammation (e.g., tuberculosis, post-viral, whooping cough, collagen-vascular disease)
- R – Reflux (aspiration)/ Recurrent injury (heroin, toxic gas inhalation)
- W – Williams-Campbell and other congenital diseases(e.g., Marfan’s, Mounir-Kuhn)
- A -Alpha-I antitrypsin deficiency
- Y – ellow nail syndrome and Young ‘s syndrome
Hope that mnemonic helped. Got a better mnemonic for the same? Let us know in the comments below.
Also check out these medical mnemonics