Corticosteroids are a frequently asked topic in medical exams, be it USMLE, PLAB, NEET-PG and so on.
The many side effects of corticosteroids can be memorized using several easy mnemonics.
We will list them all out in this post.
Choose the mnemonic you find easiest.
So, here we go, the first mnemonic to remember corticosteroid side effects is RAMADAN MUBARAK.
- Raised BP, Retention of fluid
- Acquired cataract, Atrophy of skin
- Moon face
- Avascular necrosis
- Acne, Arteriosclerosis
- Neuropsychiatric complication (euphoria, dysphoria/depression, psychosis,…)
- Ulcer(Peptic ulcer disease)
- Bone loss (osteoporosis), Buffalo Hump, BMI increased(obesity)
- Arrhythmias, Adrenal insufficiency
- Risk of infection increase
Next, we have the classic mnemonic – CORTICOSTEROIDS to remember Corticosteroid side effects.
- Cushing’s syndrome
- Retardation of growth
- Thin skin, easy bruising
- Cataracts and glaucoma
- Suppression of HPA axis
- Emotional disturbance
- Rise in BP
- Obesity (truncal)
- Increased hair growth (hirsutism)
- Diabetes mellitus
Next up, we have the mnemonic HIGH COMPACT IMPS.
Remember the uses of steroids using the mnemonic MAGIC PAUL.
Another easy to remember mnemonic for steroid side effects is BECLOMETHASONE
Another useful one here is CUSHINGOID.
C – Cataracts
U – Ulcers
S – Striae, Skin thinning
H – Hypertension, Hirsutism
I – Immunosuppression, Infections
N – Necrosis of femoral heads
G – Glucose elevation
O – Osteoporosis, Obesity
I – Impaired wound healing
D – Depression/mood changes
Hope all those mnemonics helped. Got a better mnemonic for the same? Let us know in the comments below.
Also check out these medical mnemonics