Remember the indications for surgery in endocarditis using the mnemonic PUS RIVER.
- Prosthetic valve endocarditis (most cases)
- Uncontrolled infection
- Supporative local complications with conduction abnormalities
- Resection of mycotic aneurysm
- Ineffective antimicrobial therapy (eg Vs fungi)
- Valvular damage (significant)
- Embolization (repeated systemic)
- Refractory congestive heart failure
Hope that mnemonic helped. Got a better mnemonic for the same? Let us know in the comments below.
Also check out these medical mnemonics